Friday, January 29, 2016

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

Counting by 7s is an inspirational book about overcoming pain and the meaning of family. Willow Chance is a genius. She is obsessed with counting by sevens, medical conditions and plants. After getting a perfect score on the state exam in 17 minutes, her principal thinks she cheated, and refers her to the school counselor. There, she gets her first friend, Mai Nguyen. They bond over speaking the same language. Willow has never had a friend before, and her life starts to get better.

Then it got worse. Willow's parents pass away from a car accident, and she is an orphan. She pushes through the grief by helping others, and with the help of a taxi driver, Mai, and her counselor, she learns the true meaning of family and friendship.

I liked how Willow pushed through the pain of losing her parents. Instead of focusing on what she lost, she focused on what other people lost, and plants. Instead of sitting around and crying, she used the pain to her advantage. I also liked the little stories about other people. I liked the taxi driver and the little details about him. The tiny details made a difference in the overall tone of the book.

The thing I did not like was that I wanted more of the genius part. I would have liked to go in deeper with the exam and the principal. I also would have liked more of Willow's feelings and less of her actions. It was difficult for me to connect with her.

I recommend you read this story.


Title: Counting by 7s
Author: Holly Goldberg Sloan
Publisher: Dial Books
Pages: 380 pages
Series: No
Rating: 4 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...