Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Music Boxes by Tonja Drecker

Music Boxes is a middle grade fantasy book that was sent to me by the publisher. It comes out on March 5, 2019. Lindsey is an amazing ballerina, and has just moved to New York. Soon after arriving, she meets the mysterious Madame Destinée who offers dance classes for free in exchange for participation in a performance every night in a magical studio. However, soon Lindsey realizes that Madame has evil intentions of turning the students into music boxes and stealing their talent.

While somewhat predictable, the plotline was also fascinating and I was perfectly entertained. This is a great leisure read. I love the bond Lindsey has with her sister, and I love how she was included in the climax. This book has the perfect balance of creepiness and fun. I loved the transition between lovely to fear. Lindsey's unease flew off the pages. Extremely well written, the imagery was highly present and I could full envision their magical world.

The tale was so sweet, creative, and relatable to young girls. I love how Music Boxes teaches how there's no shortcut to success. You have to work for your dreams to come true. The mystery aspect was very cool, and I enjoyed guessing how the story was going to turn out and how she'd beat the witch. The climatic scene at the end was amazing, and my pulse was racing along with Lindsey's fear and determination. The ending was bittersweet, and wrapped up the story nicely. The cover is also very creative and highly representative.

I highly recommend this book, and I cannot wait to read it again!

Title: Music Boxes
Author: Tonja Drecker
Publisher: Dancing Lemur Press
Pages: 158
Series: No
Rating: 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review Music Boxes. I'm thrilled you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great book! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...