Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Screamcatcher: Web World (Screamcatcher Book 1) by Christy J. Breedlove

45181000. sy475 Screamcatcher: Web World is a YA fantasy book sent to me by the author. Ever since Jory Pike lost her parents to a car accident, she has been haunted with terrible nightmares. She reluctantly agrees to try the original Chippewa dream catcher during a sleepover with her friends Choice, Darcy, and Lander. However, the dream catcher works too well- not only catching their dreams- but the teens as well! They get sucked into an alternate universe created by centuries of nightmares. Jory and her friends must attempt to survive their own worst nightmares and find the center of the dream catcher where they can escape through the light.

Screamcatcher is a very creative concept. I've always thought of dream catchers as pretty, peaceful items, so it was intriguing for them to be representative of evil. I loved the alternate universe! The setting was extremely fascinating and creepy at times, especially with the humongous insects. The book was very mysterious, and I enjoyed the mix of danger and excitement. I also love how theories of evolution and the nature vs nurture debate came into play. It was fascinating to watch how Lander's personality and characteristics changed after being stuck in this opposing environment.

I love how the end turned out and the progress of Choice and Joy's relationship. The contrast between the character's personalities, especially Darcy, was humorous. It was also really sweet how Choice and Joy refused to leave Darcy behind, even though she was a weak link. Screamcatcher also showcased the importance of having a positive attitude, and Darcy's circumstances amusingly reminded me of The Little Engine That Could.

I highly recommend this book!

Title: Screamcatcher: Web World
Author: Christy J. Breedlove
Publisher: Fire and Ice Young Adult Books
Pages: 219
Series: Yes, Book 1
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. I'm so very honored to appear here on your page, and the complimentary review! I must say, you must be very spiritually deep to have caught all of the subtle references in the narrative, which were no accident. Your perceptions showed great depth and human understanding. I will indeed, send you volume 2 after my publisher and I get to the editing stage. Blessed be--Christy (Chris)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...