Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Liar by Justine Larbalestier

Liar is a mix of realistic fiction and fantasy that teen readers will find unique. Micah is a liar. She admits it- and that is probably the one honest thing she has ever said. She attends a progressive school, and is an outcast. Partly because of her looks, on her first day of freshman year, she is mistaken for a boy, and she goes along with it. After she is found out, she becomes a major outcast, and she knows it. By herself, she runs after school at Central Park. Micah is the fastest runner in the world. That is how she meets Zach. Then, Zach is found dead, and she is one of the suspects.

Micah has lied so many times, that she has trouble even remembering what is true and what is not. She will say anything to convince herself she is done lying, but she is lying to herself. To her, lying is just as easy as breathing. But all her lies get tangled up, and she is forced to try and find the truth that leads to her biggest secret, the one all her lies cover up, the "family illness."

My biggest dislike about this book was the fact that it was so confusing. What was especially annoying was that every chapter or so, Micah would say something like, "oh, yeah, the last few pages didn't really happen. Here is how it really happened." It was really hard to keep track of what was true and what was not. Her big secret is where the fantasy comes in. I will not say what it is, but I am saying I do not believe a word Micah said in the book. I tried to like it. I had high expectations, and it fell short.

Unfortunately, I could not bring myself to like this book, but it was interesting. I might read a different book from this author, but I do not recommend this book.


Title: Liar
Author: Justine Larbalestier
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Pages: 376 pages
Series: No
Rating: 2 stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...