Friday, October 16, 2015

Numbers by Rachel Ward

Numbers is the first book in this intriguing science fiction fantasy trilogy about changing fate. Jem has a secret. Ever since she was very young, whenever she looks into someone's eyes, she sees a number. That number is the date they are going to die. Jem avoids other people, since she hates seeing the numbers, but she takes a chance with another outsider, Spider. While waiting in line to ride a Ferris wheel, she notices that everyone around her has the same number, and that was the date of that day! Terrorists attack London. Jem barely manages to get them away in time. She is forced to break her own rule and tell Spider about the numbers.

There is another problem- the police are looking for the terrorists, and they think that Jem and Spider play a key part in the explosions, so the entire country is chasing them. There is one last thing- Spiders death? A week away.

I love how Jem kept trying to change fate. She was brave and optimistic, and tried to keep Spider alive, and even though she was burdened by knowing when people died, Jem tried to make the best of it. I was very intrigued to see if she could.

I do wish there was more about the numbers, since most of the book is just them running away. I have never read a book like this, and I think it would be hard to write. It is a little sadder than I would normally read, but I do really recommend reading it. I am glad I saw it as a suggested book on Goodreads and that the public library has the entire trilogy. I am excited to read the next book, The Chaos. 


Title: Numbers
Author: Rachel Ward
Publisher: Chicken House/Scholastic Inc.
Pages: 325 pages
Series: Yes, Book 1
Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...