Thursday, February 15, 2018

Survive by Alex Morel

Survive is an empowering YA realistic fiction book about a girl's new desire to live. Jane has lived in Life House, a mental hospital, for the past year. She has earned the privilege to take a flight home for Christmas and visit her mother. But she never intends on making it. Her plan is to down a bottle of pills. Right as she's about to swallow them, the plane crashes in the snowy mountains.

She wakes up alive, and stranded with one other passenger, Paul. For the first time in her life, she wants to live. Their plan is to climb the mountain up to the plateau, where they can be seen for rescue. Through the journey, both discover the true meaning of life and find a love for each other. However, against the wilderness, the chances of both of them surviving are slim. 

After reading the summary on Goodreads, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen, but I picked up the book anyways because I liked the angle of it. I was pleasantly surprised! This isn't just a story of climbing a mountain, it's a story of climbing their own personal mountains of loss, pain, and heartache, and finding the hope and strength to keep going when all seems lost.  It inspires readers to do something with their life and teaches that you make your own miracles, and you are in control of your destiny.

I loved the intense emotion in this book, and I loved the change in mindset. Jane went from "I can't, I can't do it!" to "Yes, I can!" It's essentially The Little Engine That Could but for teens, and with emotion, romance, and a plane crash on a snowy mountain. I loved the survival aspect and the battle against nature. It is hard enough to conquer fear and depression, let alone with brutal weather and a literal mountain. I have no doubt in my mind that readers will shed quite a few tears.

I highly recommend this book! If you are interested in survival books and conquering nature, I would also recommend Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I read his series back in 6th grade, and it is great for all ages! 

Title: Survive
Author: Alex Morel
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 259
Series: No
Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...