Thursday, March 29, 2018

Looking for Dei by David A. Willson

Looking for Dei is a young adult fantasy book that I received from the author. This new YA book was just published last week. Nara Dall has magical gifts, but she is not like the others. Her powers are far greater. When trying to help her village discover other gifted children, her rare powers are revealed, and her best friend is revealed as cursed. They are now on the run. The event signaled her existence to the evil king, whose daughter just happens to be Nara's twin, Kanya. Along their journey, Nara and Mykel will learn the true extent of their powers and battle for their freedom.

I love the cover! If I saw this cover in the library, it would instantly grab my attention and make me want to read it! The author wrote great imagery and the world felt real, as if I was in it. The plot development was very smooth. I really enjoyed the pace of this book, which held my interest.

I was not interested in some of the perspectives of the characters, like the soldiers, and in some scenes I really wanted more dialogue. However, I was extremely hooked on Nara and Kayna's story. The contrast between Nara and Kayna is striking, considering that they are twins. Nara takes life for granted while Kanya finds joy in taking lives.

The concept of the "broken" ones having special gifts is an interesting twist that I enjoyed, sort of the opposite of real life, but also an inspiration. Mykel was an interesting character, as was the unique concept of being cursed. I liked how Mykel was willing to sacrifice himself for Nara, and their bond is special.

I am hoping for a sequel in the coming years! The ending wrapped up this book, but left room for an extension.

I recommend this book!

Title: Looking for Dei
Author: David A. Willson
Publisher: Seeker Press
Pages: 346
Series: No
Rating: 4 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...