Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Glitch is the first book in a YA dystopian trilogy about technology controlling our brains. Many years ago, a nuclear war ravished Earth, making the air toxic. In the Community, an underground race of humans, implanted computer chips in people's brains have erased capability of emotions and thoughts, keeping a peaceful society with no pain or war. The people are enslaved. When Zoe starts to malfunction, she gets her own thoughts and feelings, as well as uncontrollable telekinetic powers. As Zoe attempts to control her ability, she meets others like her, including Max, who can change his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. They must free themselves from the Community before they’re caught and deactivated.

One of the things I liked about Glitch is the concept of putting robotics into humans. A little computer chip, literally nanometers wide, completely controlling a person's identity. That idea is the reason why I bought this book. I also liked the fast pace and constant suspense. The imagery was amazing, and I truly felt like I was standing and walking around in their society. There were also a lot of twists and turns in the plot that one would not expect. I loved the manifestation of Zoe's powers throughout the book and her journey to accept them.

My one issue with this book was the predictable, exaggerated love triangle. Look, if you have never felt emotion before in your life, I find it extremely hard to believe that you could instantly figure out love and instinctively know how to kiss. They just found out, really, about emotions and all of the sudden they're taking this huge leap to love? Love is complicated enough for anybody, let alone someone with no exposure to emotion their whole life. I am not trying to diminish what they have, I do believe that Zoe loves Adrian, but I just think it was way too soon, way too big of a leap, and borderline unrealistic.

However, overall I did enjoy the book, and I do look forward to reading the next one in the series, Override

Title: Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 308
Series: Yes, Book 1 of 3
Rating: 3 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...