Sunday, April 7, 2019

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

A Long Way Down is a YA realistic fiction book about a band of suicidal misfits who decide to help each other stay alive. On New Year's Eve, four people make their way to the roof of the Topper's House in London, prepared to jump off. Instead, the four of them decide to be friends and help each other sort out their lives.

I discovered A Long Way Down at my school library and was instantly intrigued. However, I extremely disliked this book and I barely finished it. The book was essentially a huge chunk of random dialogue with sarcasm and swear words. The characters were downright annoying. To me all of the character's attitudes and stigmas towards each other felt extremely offensive.

I felt that it completely underestimated suicide and made it seem like less of an issue than it is. Jess, the 15-year-old teenager, was extremely selfish and a major drama queen. She made the aspect of teen suicide laughable and downplayed the seriousness of suicide. I had absolutely no interest in any of the characters as they all felt bizarre and ridiculous. I honestly don't even see the point of this book and despite my hopes, it was not inspirational at all.

I do not recommend this book.

Title: A Long Way Down
Author: Nick Hornby
Publisher: Riverhead Books
Pages: 333
Series: No
Rating: 1 Star
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...