Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Bunker Diary by Kevin Brooks

The Bunker Diary is a realistic fiction book for older teens who like thrillers. Linus Weems, who is 16, wakes up in an underground bunker after being kidnapped by a stranger and being drugged with chloroform. The bunker he is in has six bedrooms, a kitchen and a bathroom. There are also microphones and cameras for the kidnapper to watch every move. Soon more victims arrive - Jenny, Anja, Bird, Fred, and Russell. They discover that any attempt of escape is met with punishments of deafening noise, knockouts with gas, or food being poisoned or stopped. The group of six must figure out how to live in captivity with each other and survive among the means of the kidnapper upstairs.

I really liked the thoughts of the main character, Linus. I loved that in his diary entries there would be a ton of tangents that just go on and on. While some might find that annoying, I appreciate such thoughts and thought-provoking questions that he rhetorically asked in his journal.  I love books where the book is a journal/diary because you get to see more of the character. I enjoyed the scenes where Linus told readers about his past. I liked how the information would still be relevant at the point in time to the story. I was very intrigued and was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading. There were some funny moments, but most of it was intense.

I would have liked to know more information about the kidnapper and his motives. The Bunker Diary contains a lot of unanswered questions in the end, and my viewpoint of the story might change if there was a second book. It would be really cool if there was another book, but in the viewpoint of the kidnapper. However, I have to caution readers about the content and controversies in this book and do not recommend it for younger teens. This book can be very shocking and contains a lot of dark things. It is still a thrilling read, but be prepared to read some things that you would not be expecting.

The ending of this book was horrible! On one hand, I can't believe this! Seriously? This is the worst type of ending ever! I am so angry about what the author did to this ending! On the other hand, good job to the author for making the characters so attachable that I care about them and have anger about it.

I was surprised to find out that this author, Kevin Brooks, is also the author of one of my favorite books, iBoy! Although I read it a long time ago, I remember how much I loved it! Read my review of iBoy.

Title: The Bunker Diary
Author: Kevin Brooks
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 268
Series: No
Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...