Sunday, August 27, 2017

The Secrets of Islayne by Kari Lynn West

The Secrets of Islayne is a unique mix of YA fantasy and mystery, which was sent to me by the author. The island of Islayne gives some of its residents the special ability to see memories, and help people remember them clearer. These people are called Luminators. 16-year-old Ronan desperately seeks to become one and join their ranks.

Just when it looks like he has the world on his fingertips, Ronan and his friends discover a shocking secret that would turn the island upside down. Ronan, Cassie, and Eli try to understand what is happening, and question everything they thought they knew about their society. Little do they know, their hunt for answers is sending them in deep waters.

I really enjoyed this book! I loved how much detail the author put into this world. I felt like this island really was real. The "power" in this book is sharpening memories and seeing them more clearly. None of the scenes in The Secrets of Islayne need to be brightened; I could see straight into the book like a piece of glass.

There were six different points of view in this story. I think that this was a very wise choice and made their world more realistic. I especially loved the few sections towards the end from the "enemy." Regardless of how the characters see the actions, readers can make their own judgments. I personally love it in books when the antagonist shares their thoughts, providing a little window into another world.

I loved that I could not guess at least half of what was going to happen. Every turn was important and surprising. The only thing that I did not enjoy so much was the romance. It felt like Disney, if you know what I mean. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but in my opinion it felt forced. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading this.

I highly recommend that everyone read The Secrets of Islayne!

Title: The Secrets of Islayne
Author:  Kari Lynn West
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Pages: 240 Pages
Series: No
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...