Sunday, May 20, 2018

Pivot Point by Kasie West

Pivot Point is the first of two YA books about seeing the future. Addie is a Searcher, meaning that she can search the future. This comes in handy, because she can ensure that the choices she makes are correct. However, there is no correct choice when she is forced to choose which parent to live with. Either stay with her mom in the Compound or leave with her father to live with the normal people, and not use her abilities. Told in alternating chapters of the future with her mom or with her dad, Addie is forced to realize that any future will have its flaws. With tragedy on both sides, she must choose between her own happiness or the protection of her friends.

I have always wanted to see the future! My first thought after reading the synopsis was that I was jealous of her ability. If I could see both outcomes, it would be really easy to decide, right? Not for Addie. With loss and fear on both sides, there is no good option. If I was faced with that decision, I don't know what I would do. I think that her decision at the end of the book is controversial. I personally believe that Addie is extremely strong and brave.

Having two parallel story lines was really fresh and unique. At first, I was not sure about reading two different stories, but they are alike more than I thought, especially towards the second half of the book. It was very interesting to see how the two parts overlap and intersect each other. I really enjoyed the concept of the "normal" people, and how they live. Even though the book is fantasy, it really felt realistic, which I liked. This book is also insanely dramatic, containing a murder-mystery that shocked me. I had a lot of fun guessing what was going to happen, especially when the two stories overlapped.

I highly recommend this book! I am excited to read the sequel, Split Second!

Title: Pivot Point
Author: Kasie West
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 343
Series: Yes, book 1 of 2
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...