Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Elemental by Antony John

Elemental is the first book in this young adult trilogy series. In the small colony of Outer Banks, Thomas is the only person to be born without the power of an element (water, earth, wind, and fire). At least, that is what everyone makes him believe. After a freak storm that nobody could predict, pirates set their island on fire and kidnapped the Guardians. Now, they are after the kids. Thomas and his friends must fight to stay alive and free the ones who were captured. They uncover secrets that nobody told them, and Thomas discovers that he might not be as useless as everyone told him.

For me, the element part was not as developed as I would have liked. For having power of an element, I expected them to be able to do more than predict storms and tell if water is safe to drink.

Other than that, Elemental was a fine read. The setting was very detailed, and you could picture where they were. I did not have to stop and clarify anything. There was never a dull moment; they were always doing something. I have not read a lot of books where it is consistent the entire time, which I was happy about.

Unfortunately, I could not really connect with the characters. There wasn't really time to connect with them; they were always doing something. Often, they were too rushed to get things done that they didn't really connect effectively with each other, either.

I will read the rest of the series, and although it was not my favorite, I do think reading it was worth my time.



Title: Elemental
Author: Antony John
Publisher: Dial
Pages: 326 pages
Series: Yes, Book 1 of 3
Rating: 3 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...