Tuesday, May 1, 2018

A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard

35297353A Quiet Kind of Thunder is an inspirational YA romance book. Steffi has Selective Mutism, mostly due to her extreme anxiety. Rhys is deaf, and cannot hear. Because Steffi knows sign language, she is assigned to help him adjust to the new school. Soon, they fall in love, and together try to find who they are and prove to themselves that they can be independent and brave.

I love inspirational stories about overcoming hardships, which is why I picked up this book. I did not expect how beautiful romance could be, and I was pleasantly surprised. I do not know how to describe the happiness and butterflies in my heart while I was reading this book. I guess you could call it A Quiet Kind of Thunder, how the characters describe being in love. I love it when the names of books come from somewhere, and this came from the most sincere, loving place.

This book has changed some of my viewpoints on romance, and I will be more open to reading more romance books in the future. I have shied away from the majority of true romance books for a while, and I honestly am not sure why. But wow, this book moved me and enlightened me with an new appreciation for love and a happiness for the rest of the day.

I enjoyed how the book tackled some of the stigmas and assumptions made about the Deaf community and how they are viewed, as well as the cruelty that Steffi faces at school every day. A Quiet Kind of Thunder teaches that one is not defined by their struggles. The book is an inspirational journey of Rhys and Steffi finding their own language, being comfortable in their own skin, and beating social anxiety.

The best way I can think of to describe this book is comparing it to a cupcake. The icing is the sweetness, loving, kissing, and heart-melting parts. But as you dig deeper there is the cake, the foundation built on communication, strength, and courage. The wrapper is the part that pulls the story together, the emotions of crying, laughter, and anger. This is an inspirational story that is intense and romantic at times, but also lighthearted and funny, too.

I highly recommend this book!

This book is for older readers because of a few intimate scenes.

Title: A Quiet Kind of Thunder
Author: Sara Barnard
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 400
Series: No
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...