Saturday, April 20, 2019

Hidden (Hayling Cycle #1) by Miriam Halahmy

Hidden is the first YA historical fiction book in the trilogy Hayling Cycle. Fourteen-year-old Alix lives on Haying Island, a small island off the coast of England. During World War I, the community is blind to the terrors that occur in the Middle East. One day at the beach, Alix and her friend Samir find Mohammed, an illegal immigrant who was tortured in Iraq for helping the Allies. Not wanting him to be deported, the two young friends try to protect and hide him from the authorities.

I loved this historical fiction book! What I love the most about his book is the compassion for others that is developed inside the characters. Ignorance and stereotyping is wrong, and I loved how gradually even the people who I thought were the enemy became close allies. The toxic racist tone by many of the secondary characters at first was honest and revealing, and I was surprised how they changed their mindset. I love how the characters were able to set politics aside and look at Mohammad as a human being. I haven't read many books like this.

Immigration is an extremely relevant topic, especially in America with the current opinions of President Trump. These situations, fleeing war and poverty and torture happen way more than one can possibly imagine. I bet there is a 14-year-old right now somewhere in the world struggling with this same dilemma. Hidden is an extremely inspirational book that teaches the importance of caring for others and respecting those who are different from yourself.

I highly recommend this book and I cannot wait to read the next book in this series, Illegal. I am also interested in another book by the author, Behind Closed Doors.

Title: Hidden
Author: Miriam Halahmy
Publisher: Holiday House
Pages: 224
Series: Yes, Book 1 of 3
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...