Monday, November 4, 2019

The Spirit of London (Spirits Book 2) by Rob Keeley

25713716. sy475 The Spirit of London is the second middle grade fantasy book in the Spirits series. This book was sent to me by the author. After Ellie's parents get divorced, Ellie, Charlie, and their mother move back to London. Ellie figures everything will return to normal until she starts having visions and receiving panicked pleas for help from the ghosts of Mary and her father Henry, who are in danger after the evil murderer James Meadowes escapes his imprisonment. As Ellie tries to put her family back together and help Mary, she finds her worlds colliding- and realizes that nobody is who they seem.

I loved the family conflict. Ellie was caught in the middle of her parent's messy divorce and living in a tiny cramped flat with her mother acting bizarrely neglectful. For me personally, her conflict in the real world with her seemingly insane mother and scheming father was more interesting than the spirit world conflicts. Her emotion and fear was raw and I could connect to her easily.

I enjoyed the vast change in setting from the rural castle to the busy city. Similar to the previous book, I also saw the clear plot escalation with a terrifying climax. I loved how the intensity and mystique increased so drastically throughout the book. The mind-controlling aspect was superb and it was really cool when reality blurred with the spirit world. For a children's book, it was skillfully written with great imagery. This is a great mystery children's book that is easy to get into and hard to stop!  On a side note, I also love the cover!

I highly recommend you read this book! I cannot wait to read the third book in this series, The Sword of the Spirit! See my review of the previous book, Childish Spirits!

Title: The Spirit of London
Author: Rob Keeley
Publisher: Troubador Publishing
Pages: 152
Series: Yes, Book 1 of 5
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...