Wednesday, July 6, 2022

The Dark Knife (Marked Book 2) by A.F.E. Smith

The Dark Knife is the second book in the young adult fantasy series Marked. This book was sent to me by the author. Alyssia has returned back to her normal life, thinking that she has defeated her brother Ifor. As she struggles to cope with what she went through, she is faced with the painful realization that her friends in Endarion are still in danger. As she makes the difficult decision to return, she unknowingly steps back into a centuries-old cycle that entwines their deadly fate.

My favorite parts of the book were not in Endarion, but the short parts that take place back in our world with Peter and Becca. The author skillfully placed these passages between key events. Sometimes with epic fantasy or dystopian novels, it can be overwhelming to keep reading. Smith provided a break to process what had previously happened and brace oneself for the next. 

All of the central characters have internal struggles to overcome events in their past. The Dark Knife particularly dove into the trauma of domestic violence and not only its long-lasting psychological impact on future relationships and sexuality, but also the views of society as a whole. No spoilers as to who, but I'm glad that the author included LGBTQ characters, and I'm excited to see what romances might develop in the coming books. Note that I also labeled the book as New Adult for some of that content.

Alyssia's devotion to her friends in that other world is amazing, and I know that if she were me, I would never go back to the medieval world of Endarion. Her courage is impressive, but it is also related to her trauma and struggle to cope with the events from the prior book and her knowledge of who she really is. (Although, do we really know that? Just when we thought it was all figured out, the ending throws a new curveball of wondering.) Speaking of the ending, I don't like it when people die, but what is the alternative- happy endings for everyone? In some stories, there simply aren't happily-ever-after's possible, and while I am very sad for some of the characters, I appreciate that the author stayed true to Endarion's significant difficulties.

I highly recommend this book! I am very much looking forward to reading the next book, Daughter of the Sky, and I have some predictions/ideas that I hope will come true!

Title: The Dark Knife
Author: A.F.E. Smith
Publisher: IronWright Books
Pages: 420
Series: Yes, Book 2 of 5
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...