Friday, July 15, 2022

The First to Die at the End By Adam Silvera (Death-Cast #0)

The First to Die At The End is the prequel to the bestseller YA realistic/science fiction book They Both Die at the End. This book was sent to me by the publisher, and it will be released on October 4, 2022. 

Have you ever played Would You Rather and have had one of the questions be if you would rather know how you are going to die or when? Death-Cast cannot predict how you are going to die, but they can mysteriously predict when. On the first night that Death-Cast goes live in New York City, Orion Pagan and Valentino Prince bump into each other, and feel a connection. Unfortunately, one of them receives a call from Death-Cast, and the other doesn't. They decide to spend their last day together, forging a relationship surely to end in heartbreak.

When I wrote my review in 2019 of They Both Die at the End, I wrote that I was conflicted regarding the lack of background knowledge on the Death-Cast system. I am very pleased with the prequel, which answered many of my questions. I assume that many people shared the same concerns that I had since a prequel instead of a sequel was written. I did not find out how specifically the company's software predicted the deaths. However, the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe it was a good idea to let us wonder.

It is unrealistic to think that the author listened to my feedback on the speed and forcefulness of the romance between Rufus and Mateo, but this book was a major improvement. Orion and Valentino took their romantic relationship slowly, and built up to being a couple through friendship. While the specific scenario in the book seemed a bit of a stretch, it all seemed reasonable considering the sad circumstances. I loved both Valentino and Orion; their dedication to being kind to others and supporting each other, even though they had only just met, is admirable. 

I am happy in particular that the book explored the childhoods of the two main characters in the first book. When I realized that the prequel starred two different boys than the first book, I was a little concerned about how the two books would connect. I was surprised by the multiple perspectives and how they all overlapped in the end. Normally, I hate books where characters die, especially when I become attached to them. But Silvera did a good job of making the ending empowering and also hopeful, despite the loss. 

I highly recommend this book! Read my review of They Both Die at the End, and also More Happy Than Not, also by Silvera. 

Title: The First to Die at the End
Author: Adam Silvera
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 416
Series: Yes, Book 0 of 2
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...