Friday, August 19, 2022

The Memories of Eskar Wilde by E.H. Wilde

The Memories of Eskar Wilde is a YA realistic fiction book that was sent to me by the author. Eskar Wilde had just turned 18, and faced with grief and uncertainty, he sits down to write a memoir of his life over the past few years. From his father's suspicious death to his unfortunate love life, Eskar tells a story filled with mystery and mistakes.

While organized as a memoir, the author explained that too much of it was fictionalized to be labeled that way. E.H. Wilde is also a pen name.

Despite the informal tone, the writing still felt sophisticated. I tend to enjoy books that are structured as journals and where the reader feels valued by the protagonist. Eskar is a good person who highly values his family, and I enjoyed reading the passages that focused on the relationship between him and his mother. I was pleased that he acknowledged his mistakes and had a matured sense of self-reflection. I was initially concerned that he wasn't allowing himself to feel grief, anger, and sadness, but I was happy with Eskar's emotional development towards the end. 

The Memories of Eskar Wilde isn't particularly exciting, but it is still an intriguing and perhaps a calming story. I am not a person who understands French, and I am grateful that the translations to French dialogue were given in the footer. I am a person who highly values background information, but the one complaint that I would have is that at times it felt like too much information, and at times I skimmed some pages in a rush to find out what happens next! The ending was most certainly bittersweet. While I was secretly hoping for a happily-ever-after, I appreciate how it stuck to realistic outcomes. 

I recommend that you read this book!

Title: The Memories of Eskar Wilde
Author: E.H Wilde
Publisher: Tablo Pubishing
Pages: 384
Series: No
Rating: 4 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...