Saturday, August 6, 2022

Laela and the Moonline by Lisa Perskie

Laela and the Moonline is a YA fantasy book that was sent to me by the author. Laela, a Treedle, is transitioning into womanhood, and is faced with deep internal conflict of what a woman should be. She loves hunting and adventuring, activities reserved for men. All that she should be looking forward to is finding a mate. Challenged by confusing visions, she embarks on a quest to learn about the culture and customs of the Mergon society below them. As she falls in love with an exiled prince and is faced with great danger, Laela unknowingly fulfills an ancient prophecy of reunification and future change to both of their cultures.

Laela and the Moonline is politically and socially powerful. For a fantasy, it reads much more like historical fiction from Mesopotamian traditional society with the Mergons being the Aztecans and the Incas as the Treedles. This story is powerful and inspiring for women and girls everywhere. I am not a religious person, and I was initially concerned with its abundance. However, as the story went on, I was impressed with how Laela blossomed into a force for existentialism as well as her faith.

 I am proud of Laela for recognizing the unfairness of traditional gender roles and stigmas around what a woman should be by attempting to educate others. I also relate to Laela. I was always more intellectually mature and morally responsible than my peers, and I have questioned the traditional routes for a woman. Despite being a teenager, she speaks with a voice of enlightenment, sincerity, and a politeness. I have no doubt that she will accomplish much in her life as a leader. While it seems as though Laela enlightened some of the Mergons, it worries me that her people will be invaded, tortured, and forever inslaved by Marl in revenge. How will the peaceful Treedles defend themselves? Will her words in Mergon court inspire the common people to rebel against him? I wonder what the new golden age as a result of her union with Mateo holds. I hope Perskie will write a sequel.

I highly recommend this book!

Title: Laela and the Moonline
Author: Lisa Perskie
Publisher: Gatekeeper Press
Pages: 376
Series: No 
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...