Monday, January 18, 2016

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave movie hits theaters on January 22, 2016, and is based on this captivating YA dystopian book. I always believe in reading the book before watching the movie. One of my favorite quotes is by J.W. Eagan, "Never judge a book by its movie."

In The 5th Wave book, Cassie calls the aliens "Others." They have been attacking Earth in waves. In the first wave, they stopped technology. In the second wave, they caused tsunamis. In the third wave, they used birds to spread an advanced form of Ebola. In the fourth wave, it was discovered that the Others could go inside humans and control them.

As the fifth wave approaches, the Others take all the remaining children to a military compound. Cassie's younger brother, Sammy, was taken as well, and he is being trained by Cassie's crush from school, Ben. Before Sammy left, Cassie promised to come after him. She will do anything to keep her promise and rescue Sammy, even if it means she might lose her life trying.

The 5th Wave was non-stop action from the beginning to the end, and I loved every second of it! There was never a stopping point; it was always going and reaching new conflicts. The minute one was solved, another one came. It was interesting to have a dystopian book that was not just conflict with other humans, but had alien forces as well. I also liked that as the world was falling apart, the characters still joked about when it was normal. I enjoyed that the people didn't completely change in the face of chaos.

The only thing I didn't like was that it was slightly confusing in some parts. The narrator switched, and sometimes it was hard to tell who was talking. The beginning was also confusing, as it didn't really explain anything for about 20 pages.

I cannot wait to watch the movie! Follow me on Twitter to see how I think the movie compares to the book. I cannot wait to read the next book, The Infinite Sea! 

Thank you to my English teacher for letting me borrow this book!

Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages: 457 pages
Series: Yes, Book 1
Rating: 4 Stars
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...